The Martha Street Studio digital facility specializes in creating high quality limited edition original works of art for local artists and photographers. Our technicians will work with you to get the most from your photographic print, or to push the limits of creative digital printing. Because Martha Street Studio is also a traditional print studio, the opportunity exists to combine digital and traditional printing methods (see here). We're not your typical commercial printer or service bureau.
The Digital Suite's equipment includes:
- 44 inch wide Epson 9900 inkjet printer
- archival inks & paper
- 6 iMacs
- Adobe Creative Suite 5 on all iMacs
- Imacon Flextight Precision II scanner
- legal-sized flatbed scanner able to scan reflective material, slides, and transparencies
- A3-sized flatbed scanner
- B&W laser printer
- internet access
Below are links to information for the standard papers we stock and, if we could find them, their ICC profiles (if you can help us locate the other ICC profiles, let us know).
Each ICC profile link points to a zip archive containing a profile and instructions on how to use it. An ICC profile helps adjust your monitor to display your images more like they'd look when printed on a specific paper by a specific printer (in this case, our stuff). The success of this depends on the quality of your equipment, software, and whether you keep your monitor callibrated.
We'll print on other paper if you supply it, or if you buy it in advance through us (paper typically takes a week or more to arrive). If you order paper through us that we don't normally stock, and if we can't foresee anybody else using it, you'll need to buy the whole roll or package, regardless of what small amount you need.
Use this calculator to estimate print costs, minding the following points:
- the print and border costs are dollars per square foot
- enter image and border dimensions in inches
- the maximum width of paper is 44 inches
- the current maximum length printable is approximately 120 inches
- image width and height are for image dimensions excluding white border
- if, for example, you want a 3 inch white border above and below the image and a 2 inch white border to the left and right of the image, put 3 in the Vertical Border field and 2 in the Horizontal Border field
- for information on membership please see here